Tuesday, June 12, 2018


Creative God
By Brita Crouse

“O LORD, what a variety of things you have made! In wisdom you have made them all. The earth is full of your creatures.”

Some days, God’s creativity just astounds me. I was thinking about how creative our God is one day as I sat at my desk writing a devotional, when, within a few seconds, I saw five or six different types of animals scamper or fly across my backyard. The view from my bedroom is one of my favorites in our whole house because I have a front row seat to God’s amazing creation.

My room faces the east, with the sun waking me up with some of its first rays of the day. From my windows, I can see a small creek, a pond, and a farm field. Because I live in such a rural setting, we see an abundance of wildlife: beavers, bunnies, coyotes, deer, geese, cranes, ducks, frogs, toads, snakes, mice, robins, cardinals, and about a dozen other types of birds throughout the year. I am also witness to the planting and harvesting process, as I watch the farmers work their fields through the spring, summer and fall months. I am privy to God’s thoughtfulness and see His creativity every day, right in my own backyard, but rarely do I take time to notice and thank Him for it.

This world is teeming with products of God’s artistic hand. We can see His creativity in the blooming flowers, in the ever-changing weather, in the complexity of a blade of grass, in the variety of colors we see daily. Yet, often we are so bogged down by tragedies and difficulties of this world that we forget the beauty and uniqueness and complexity of every person, plant and animal.

I love the spring and summer seasons because it means we have the chance to watch life and growth happen for the first time all year. Seeing the flowers bloom and trees bud and animals roam freely is a good reminder of our oh-so-creative God. It is such a privilege to be surrounded by the beauty of His creation!

Our God is the Creator of all things living. Take a moment to stop and thank Him for this amazing, colorful and creative world and the opportunity we have to be a part of it.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Keep track of the creativity you see in God’s creation this week. Take time to thank Him for it!
2.  How can you take more time to notice and be appreciative of God and His creativity?

FURTHER READING:

Brita recently moved back to her home state of Wisconsin where she works as an Elementary School Counselor. She and her family have attended Oakwood for 20 years.