Thursday, June 21, 2018


The Ugly Imp
By Susan Klein

“Whoever is patient has great understanding…”

Standing in line and waiting to check out, I could feel my impatience escalating. It was taking the clerk F-O-R-E-V-E-R to check out the woman ahead of me! How do I always manage to choose the slowest lanes? I’d already unloaded my cart onto the conveyor belt, and now someone else was unloading behind me. There was no escaping the wait.

What seemed like hours later, I was greeted with a cheery smile and a “Hi! How is your day going so far?”

Fine, until I got in this lane… griped the irritable voice in my head. Fortunately, those thoughts stayed put. My mouth opted instead to engage the young woman in polite conversation. Wrong choice!

She could not talk and scan at the same time. Literally. As she regaled me with a rather peculiar story, using her hands to emphasize (rather than scan), it dawned on me that she had some obvious mental challenges. Some of her word choices were inappropriate, and she seemed to occasionally disconnect from her thoughts, stopping in mid-sentence. Her demeanor, however, remained persistently cheerful.

Eight hours later… I huffed my way to my car. She was a simple young woman, carrying out her duties (be it ever so slowly) and striving to be engaging. How could I fault her? Okay, let it go. At least you weren’t outwardly rude to her…

Finally reaching home and unloading my purchases, I noticed my husband’s dirty lunch dishes in the sink. Really, twelve inches away from the dishwasher!?  This time though, the irritable voice escaped my head and verbally unleashed on my unsuspecting man. I honestly hate when that happens!

Impatience is ugly. It is our sin nature to not tolerate the things that are slowing us down or thwarting our expectations. King Solomon states, “A man’s wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.” [1] Guess I need to wise up! I’m pretty sure that Jesus never had this problem.

I imagine the person who hired the young clerk displayed much patience and gentleness. I know my husband has been generous with his patience in overlooking many of my offenses. And I am certain that our God is a patient God, as stated in His word. [2]

I believe that patience likely stems from seeing people through Jesus’ eyes. Next time the Ugly Imp (aka impatience) rears its head, I hope to choose more wisely how I respond… recognizing that each person is created in God’s image and fully loved by Him.


GOING DEEPER:
1. What trips your trigger toward impatience with others?
2. How might you tangibly combat the Ugly Imp?

FURTHER READING:

Susan is married to Mark, and co-leads an in-home small group. She serves as a mentor to young women, and is a member of Oakwood’s Peace Team, helping people work through conflict.