Wednesday, June 6, 2018


Not About Me
By Lexi Cole Ellis

“Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever.”
Psalm 136:26 (ESV)

This pregnancy has been a healthy one but not like what I expected. I would have loved for the nausea to be exclusive to the first trimester or the “discomfort” in these final few weeks to be less. But every piece of sickness, every jab, every moment of pain has been paradoxically paired with the realization that she is growing. That she is okay. It’s less about my own comfort levels, and more about recognizing that all of this is normal. And all of this, for now, is for her well-being. This is not about me…

This pregnancy has given me a small, tiny glimpse of what sacrifice means and what true humility looks like. Regardless of how I’ve been feeling, our goal has always been a healthy baby. And we’re so incredibly thankful it’s been that way. So I can only imagine, how much greater the sacrifice Jesus paid - - way beyond any throwing up or pre-labor pains - - way more intense and extensive than anything I have experienced.

This pregnancy has made me realize how much greater was Jesus’ humility. How much deeper was His “cost” for us. How much more immense His sacrifice was. Paul describes Jesus’ humility in
Philippians 2:7-8. That while Jesus had every right to not pay our debt, “…He made Himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant…He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to death – even death on a cross!”  And why? Because of His deep love for us.

John writes about this in
1 John 3:1a, “See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God.” I think about how unfathomable my love is for our daughter already. How she is worth absolutely every sensation and discomfort. How much greater the Father’s Love must be for us: “…how vast beyond all measure.” [1]

This pregnancy has reminded me that so much is not about me. And it’s given me an even more beautiful picture of just how deep and wide our God’s humility and His love is… for us.

GOING DEEPER:
1.    Take time to meditate or listen to the hymn “How Deep the Father’s Love.” You can listen to one acapella version by clicking HERE.
2.    What are some specific ways you’ve seen God’s humility and deep love for you?

FURTHER READING:
Deuteronomy 7:9; Romans 5:8; Colossians 3:12

Lexi and her husband, Andrew, are expecting their daughter in June and have a dog named Calvin. Lexi teaches sixth grade Reading and Writing and serves with Children’s Ministries.

[1] Stuart Townend,  “How Deep The Father’s Love For Us,” 1995, Thank You Music, CMG Publishing