Friday, June 22, 2018


The Visit
By Vernette Kureck

“He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.”

One cold, wintry night, two men unexpectedly stopped by from a church we had visited. At eight months pregnant and exhausted from work, I wasn’t in the mood for guests. We reluctantly invited them in. Little did I know my life was about to be changed. 
 

After chatting, Joel asked, “Have you come to the place where you know for certain that if you died tonight you would go to Heaven, or is that something you‘re still working on?“

I was pretty sure I’d go, but then Joel probed further, “Suppose you were to die tonight and stand before God and He asked, ‘Why should I let you into my Heaven?’  What would you say?”  I responded that I was basically a good person; my good deeds certainly outweighed my bad. I’d broken some of God’s rules, but I thought He would let me in…after all, I’d gone to church most of my life.

We talked about Jesus’ words in Matthew 5:48 (NIV), “Be perfect, therefore, as your Heavenly Father is perfect.”  I knew I was a flawed perfectionist, kind of like making an omelet with six eggs…five perfect and one rotten.  I saw I was hopelessly infected with sin, just as Romans 3:23 (NIV) says, “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” When I compared all of my “good” works to God’s holy standard, I knew I was a condemned sinner. 

I’m so grateful that the Lord Jesus said, “For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”
That was me.  I had known in my head that Jesus came to die on the cross for the sins of the world, but I had never transferred that knowledge into my heart and acknowledged Him as my  Savior and Lord.

Heaven is a free gift that can’t be earned: “For it is by grace you have been saved through faith- - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - - not by works, so that no one can boast.” So by faith, I prayed that night, asking for forgiveness of my sins and thanking Jesus for dying for me.  Because He was willing to take my  punishment, I could now have eternal life with God in Heaven. I invited Christ to take over all of my life.  In doing so, my  true spiritual journey began.

Jesus said in Revelation 3:20 (NIV), “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.”  That door was a picture of my heart…I am so joyful I opened the door that night.  

GOING DEEPER:
1. Have you transferred your head knowledge to heart knowledge? 
2. Is Jesus standing at the door of your heart waiting to be invited in? If so, won’t you open the door?

FURTHER READING:

Vernette and her husband Ken have been married 49 years and are blessed with 8 grandchildren.  She serves Oakwood on the prayer chain and with Family Promise.