Friday, June 1, 2018


The Top
By Sarah Walker

Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you.
Psalm 63:3 (ESV)

May I share something with you? It’s a topic that I don’t usually talk about because it can be interpreted as prideful. Yet as Jesus brings me closer to him, I can see that if I don’t talk about it, I am not sharing the lessons that Jesus has taught me through these experiences. With that in mind, please read what I write below in His light… looking for what you can learn about Jesus, too.

We all have desired to reach the top in some form or another. Be it the pinnacle of popular opinion, beauty, athletic ability or any other number of items. For me, I worked hard, gave it my all and attained the top of academic achievement. I trusted in God during this time, and I know He directed my steps and opened doors that would otherwise be closed. With Him, I took top honors in the fields of my study. I double majored in college and earned the top GPA in both of my majors. I was in the top 5% of the college and then earned the top scholarship to my graduate school.

Expectations were high of me. When I didn’t perform to those expectations, I was pulled aside and interrogated. When I did well, I was lauded on the one hand, but always with renewed expectations on the other hand. Because of this, I needed Jesus during those times and clung desperately to Him. I repeated Psalm 63, particularly the above verse, many times. Its rhythm and cadence became well known to me, providing an anchor of truth. I knew in my head that God loved me no matter what the outcome of my performance was. But getting that truth into my heart took a lot more work.

Eventually, His unconditional love helped me overcome my need to meet others’ expectations. Nothing surpasses the love of God. Not even the top. Whatever you are striving after - - if you do reach the top - - you will find nothing that truly satisfies you up there. Nothing that fills you and completes you. No matter how much you strive or achieve, it will ultimately leave you wanting more. Nothing in life can complete you like the steadfast love of our precious Jesus.

GOING DEEPER:
1.    Do you truly view the steadfast love of God as being better than life?
2.    If there is something in your life that you need to share in order to honor Jesus, regardless of how other people might interpret your motives, find a trustworthy person and begin by telling them.

FURTHER READING:
Matthew 5:13-16, Ecclesiastes 2:9-11

Sarah is married to Scott and is a full-time mom to their two young sons. She and Scott are involved in a small group focused on prayer.