Thursday, June 14, 2018


The Vine
By Lisa Boyer

“…let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles…”
Hebrews 12:1b (NIV)

When we purchased our “house in the country,” the neighbor was kind enough to let me know about some of the trees and plants that grew on the property line. She made a point of showing me a vine and warned me that it spreads easily and is quite destructive. Being as I don’t have a green thumb, I wasn’t overly concerned and I let the vine run wild. I noticed that it was creeping down the property line towards the road, but I didn’t care, since there was no danger to the mature trees on the lot line.

Five years later, I found myself out there with gigantic clippers trying to get the vine under control. This was not an easy task. As the vine travels along the ground, it entrenches itself by dropping roots along the way. As it travels above ground, it wraps itself tightly around tree branches and bushes. I tracked down every piece of the vine, tugging and pulling it out of trees and bushes and ripping it out of the ground. The job seemed hopeless, but I wasn’t giving up. I was determined to stop the vine.

So, why the sudden interest in a vine I had been warned about and ignored for five years? The vine had reached something that I loved: the beautiful lilac bush at the front of my property. I managed to rescue the lilac bush, but the vine has taken hold in the area and I cannot get rid of it.

That vine reminds me of how surrounded we are by sin in this world. Left unchecked, sin creeps closer and closer until it gets into our very lives, entrenching itself and entangling us. We must be ever-diligent and proactive about protecting ourselves and our families. Regular “yard” checks to see if sin is creeping into our lives by radio, television, relationships, movies, books, magazines, computer and more, are in order.

When we bought our home, the vine was 250 feet from that lilac bush. Today, the vine is less than 10 feet from the lilac bush. The lilac’s only hope for survival is my diligence in cutting back the vine. Oh, how I regret letting the vine get that close. I won’t do the same with sin.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Will you ask God to give you wisdom as to how you can best protect yourself and your family from the influences of the sin of this world?
2. If you’ve become entangled in sin, will you turn to the Savior and ask Him to set you free?

FURTHER READING:
John 8:36; 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22

Lisa is married to Ted and they have two sons in college. Lisa serves as an event photographer at Oakwood and wherever else she is needed.