Friday, June 29, 2018


How Will We Be Remembered?
By Susan Klein

“I thank my God every time I remember you.”

 A couple of years ago, I attended the funeral of a beloved childhood pastor of mine. I remember him as a big burly man with a booming voice. I also remember he had the all-encompassing hug of a huge teddy bear. He was my pastor when I went though my most turbulent teen years, and I will always be thankful for the unconditional love he displayed for me.

One of his greatest legacies in my life was teaching me about “faith.” He took a small group of us teens to a college for a week during the summer just to teach us what faith really looked like through impactful examples and exercises. I had never heard or seen such teachings, and they had a profound effect on my life.

Fast-forward to the funeral, now 40 years later. I was anticipating hearing many glorious stories about how he impacted others in their faith walks. This, sadly, was not the case. While some spoke of his generous service to the community, and others spoke of his great “motivational speeches” and his “optimism,” not one person spoke of the things I remembered: his great love and bold faith. It was like going to a funeral service for the Apostle Paul and hearing about what a good tent maker he was. Disheartened, I wanted to jump up from my seat and yell, “You’re all missing the true picture!” I wanted to share my own life-impacting memories with everyone, about how I would never know the Lord as my Savior if it were not for this man’s investing in my life.

It caused me to wonder what might have happened over the past 40 years that I hadn’t seen him. Had his faith waned? Did he become less bold in his proclamation of his Lord? Did worldly matters choke out his spiritual fervor? Or, were people possibly just oblivious to these qualities of his life? Were their hearts hardened to his teachings, only hearing the things they wanted to hear? I may never know the answers to these questions this side of heaven.

One question it has given me pause to consider, “How will I be remembered?” Will people comment on my faith or my clean house? Will they have seen the love of Christ lived out in my life or remember me as someone who lived for self?

How will you be remembered?

GOING DEEPER:
1. Which character traits of yours are most evident to others?
2. Are there areas where your light has dimmed, and needs refueling?

FURTHER READING:

Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood and also co-leads an on-site small group.