Monday, June 11, 2018


Promises
By Lexi Cole Ellis

When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your unfailing love, Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.
Psalm 94: 18-19 (NIV)

I’ve always thought very literally when it came to God’s Promises: never flooding the Earth again, never will He leave us nor forsake us, etc. But a friend recently mentioned that God’s “list” of promises are endless. This got me thinking… As defined in the dictionary, a promise is to “assure someone that one will definitely do, or give something.” [1] Suddenly, verses left and right started revealing to me how often God assures us, how far He’ll go for us and how amazing is the gift of relationship that He gives us.

 It is true. There are promises galore in Scripture. God suddenly became the epitome of promises. His pursuit of us and the depths of His love for us - - despite our sin - - became a promise. His unending justice and mercy became a promise. His continual comfort became a promise.

The verse above, Psalm 94: 18-19, is a verse filled with promises. The first is the promise of support. “When I said, ‘My foot is slipping,’ your unfailing love, Lord, supported me.” God promises that when we feel vulnerable, uncomfortable, shaken or scared… His love is there to support. And it’s not just a love like we experience or have experienced here on Earth. It’s an unfailing love. His love is perfect and pure. His love doesn’t let us down. His love is not hidden with secret agendas. In self-identified times of struggle or trials, God promises to support us with His great love.

The second part of the above verse shows the promise of comfort that leads to joy. “When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.” What I was taken by is that God doesn’t promise to take away our anxiety in this verse. Instead, He promises that the joy is a by-product when we recognize the depths of His consolation. Joy is brought on when we put our trust in God’s comfort and meditate on how vast and active His love is.

God’s promises go way beyond never flooding the Earth again. His Word contains promises that are filled with truth and hope. I’m so thankful that God’s love is unfailing, His comfort brings joy, and His promises are endless and visible all throughout Scripture.


GOING DEEPER:
1.    Take time to jot down some of the promises that you know God has made.
2.    Take time to look through some of His promises mentioned on this LINK.


Lexi and her husband, Andrew, have an adorable dog named Calvin and are excepting their daughter sometime around June 14. She teaches sixth grade Reading and Writing and serves with Children’s Ministries.